Statement of Commitment
Nipigon District Memorial Hospital is committed to excellence in serving all clients, including people with disabilities, and will carry out its functions and responsibilities in an appropriate manner to accommodate such individuals. The Hospital is also dedicated to giving people with disabilities the same opportunity to access our goods and services, and allowing them to benefit from the same services, in the same place, and in a similar way as other clients.
The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 has identified core principles that must be included in the way we deliver health care to our clients which include:
- Dignity - goods and services are provided in a manner that is respectful in persons with a disability and does not diminish the person's importance.
- Independence - accommodating a person's disability means respecting their right to do for themselves and to choose the way they wish to receive goods and services.
- Integration - wherever possible, services will be provided in a manner that enables people with disabilities to fully benefit from the same service, in the same place, and in the same or similar way as other customers. This may require alternative formats and flexible approaches. It means inclusiveness and full participation. This is a fundamental human right.
- Equal Opportunity - service is provided to persons with disabilities in a way that their opportunity to access goods and services is equal to that given to others.
How You Can Help, Tell us How We Are Doing
To help us meet your needs, let staff know when you require an accommodation. Our client and family centred approach focuses on working together with clients and families to find solutions that best meet your needs, for example:
- If you have trouble walking a long distance, staff can either direct you to an alternate entrance or ensure that support is provided to allow you to get to your destination
- If you experience anxiety in crowds, there may be a need to change the appointment location or book the first appointment of the day
If you require support from a service animal we will accommodate you and your service animal
You are welcome to bring a support person with you to the Hospital
Contact us at Nipigon District Memorial Hospital, Box 37, 125 Hogan Road, Nipigon, ON P0T 2J0
Phone: (807) 887-3026 / Fax: (807) 887-2800